Working with viscose, a type of regenerated cellulose fiber, involves handling it with care due to its unique characteristics. Here are some guidelines for working with viscose:
- Use sharp scissors or a rotary cutter for clean cuts.
- Consider cutting viscose fabric in a single layer to prevent slipping.
2. Sewing Machine Settings:
- Use a fine needle appropriate for lightweight fabrics (size 70/10 or 80/12).
- Adjust the sewing machine to a smaller stitch length, especially for lightweight fabrics.
- Choose a high-quality, fine thread, such as polyester or silk thread, for sewing viscose.
- Consider using matching thread colors to maintain a clean and polished look.
4. Seam Finishes:
Viscose has a tendency to fray, so finish seams appropriately. Options include zigzag stitching, serging, or using French seams for a neat finish.
- Use a low to medium heat setting on your iron to avoid scorching the fabric.
- Press gently and avoid excessive pulling or stretching, as viscose can lose its shape when subjected to tension.
- Handle viscose with care as it can be delicate and prone to snagging.
- Be cautious when pinning, and use fine, sharp pins to minimize damage.
It’s advisable to pre-wash or pre-treat viscose fabrics before cutting and sewing to account for any potential shrinkage.
8. Pattern Choice:
Select patterns designed for lightweight and drapey fabrics to make the most of viscose’s fluidity and softness.
Keep in mind that viscose has a beautiful drape, making it suitable for flowy garments. Consider this characteristic when choosing and designing patterns.
10. Care Instructions:
Be sure to follow the care instructions on the fabric and garment. Viscose may have specific washing and care requirements.
Depending on the opacity of the fabric, you might want to consider using a lining to prevent see-through in garments.
Remember that viscose fabrics can vary in weight and texture, so it’s a good idea to test your techniques on a scrap or a small piece of the fabric before working on your main project.
We hope this article has been helpful as you embark on your viscose fabric project!
If you’re looking to create viscose garments, Crea-Si can assist you. With thirty years of experience in crafting clothing from various fabrics, contact us for more information or to present your project!